Sunday, September 04, 2005

DirectNIC

I have been using DirectNIC for my domain names for a while (see the problems I had in May), and service has been good. Thursday, I discovered that stevemount.org was not getting redirected to www.life.umd.edu/labs/mount/ and discovered the reason. DirectNIC is based in New Orleans. The impressive thing is that they had provided service that long (and it was restored by Saturday morning). So, DirectNIC has done a much better job of pre-storm preparation and post-storm recovery than our government. Their experiences are all described on a blog (The Interdictor) that includes many photographs taken from downtown New Orleans during the storm and since, and a lot of on-the-ground reports that provide a unique perspective. The DirectNIC homepage indicates that they are migrating sites to new servers (presumably not in New Orleans). Their heroic efforts in the meantime have certainly earned my loyalty.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home